Saturday, June 16, 2012

Nokia Sustainability Challenge Day #5

Summary: 
Yesterday, Its one man show of me cleaning up a waste land into beautiful place. If you have missed it, you can check it out here. Today I raised up my voice in my apartments meeting to make it one of the best meets by giving my ideas on reducing the power usage.


Day #5 Raise your voice



In my apartment meeting today, I have given my opinions and ideas to reduce the power usage by a wide range of methods. There are 24 homes in our apartments and I raised up my voice against their acts and finally made it to save the energy usage and also did something green today.

First of all, I asked the secretary of our apartment to replace the Incandescent light bulbs with CFL ones. Though it is a bit costly compared to the Incandescent bulbs, the CFL reduces the power usage to a greater extent. He had agreed to do this and I replaced them immediately with the CFL :)




Say Hello to the new CFLs 



I have found in Wikipedia that CFL consumes a power of 9-13 watts whereas Incandescent bulb consumes 40 watts for the same light output. There are totally 20 light mountings in our apartment. By replacing the incandescent ones with CFL, our apartment can save hundreds of watts of power.

I have also asked the secretary to install solar panels in the roof to power the water pump. Its green and also saves energy. 

Day #5 has been short as I was preparing to get ready for tomorrow's adventure. Tomorrow I will be going off to the sub-urban part of Chennai creating awareness. So stay tuned for Day #6. 

Here is an image that I found in a website which was really innovative and awesome:





0 comments:

Post a Comment